Years of experience combined with hard work
The team at Basement Waterproofing GTA has spent years working in this industry and we always aim to leave our customers happy. Our hard work and dedication to getting the job done guarantees that all your waterproofing needs will be met. Take a look at our waterproofing process below to get a better idea of the work that we do!
1. Foundation Excavation
1The first step to basement waterproofing is Foundation Excavation. With the help of machinery and hand digging we are able to access the foundation safely ensuring that it will not be damaged. It is very important that we excavate all the way to the footing so that we can properly examine the drainage, foundation wall and footing conditions. Once we are finished excavating we power-wash the foundation and remove any loose materials.
This step is not always the same depending on the sitation, but in most cases if the foundation is in poor condition it must be repaired in order for the waterproofing process to continue. Once our team repairs the process 2 coats of parging will be applied in order to provide damp-proofing and a foundation for additional layers.
2. Foundation Repairs
2This step is not always the same depending on the sitation, but in most cases if the foundation is in poor condition it must be repaired in order for the waterproofing process to continue. Once our team repairs the process 2 coats of parging will be applied in order to provide damp-proofing and a foundation for additional layers.
3. Sealing the seam
3In addition to parging the foundation, ask the contractor to apply a bevel of concrete at the joint where the foundation meets the footing. This helps to seal up one of the most vulnerable parts of the foundation. This seam is often the source of water getting into basements.
4. Install Blueskin Waterproof Membrane
4Blueskin is a rubberized asphalt membrane laminated to a Polyethylene film. This combination provides a durable, waterproof barrier that is tough and flexible and can stretch to continue providing protection even if new cracks develop after the membrane has been applied.
After the parging layers have dried, a primer is rolled on and then the Blueskin applied over the primer. The priming layer provides the perfect surface for the Blueskin to adhere to and provides a small amount of damp-proofing on its own. Remember, the Blueskin is providing waterproofing not just damp-proofing.
5. Protective Platon Membrane
5After the Blueskin, the foundation should be wrapped in Platon Membrane which provides the first defense against water and provides physical protection to the Blueskin membrane. Platon Membrane is a tough, dimpled, 24-mil high-density polyethylene wrap that seals out water. The dimples provide an air gap behind the Platon so that any water that might get behind the membrane can drain down and won’t be trapped between the Platon and the Blueskin.
6. Install New Weeping Tiles
6The next 2 steps in ensuring a dry basement are perhaps the most important: proper drainage and grading. It essential that when water flows down the Blueskin and Platon membranes that there is a system in place to carry the water away from the foundation. The age of your home will often determine the drainage solution that is available for your foundation. You may be connected to the city storm drain, a French drain on your property or to a sump pit in your basement. However, regardless of drainage solution, your contractor shouldl lay a new bed of gravel at the footing, install new window wells and drains if required, install new weeping tile and connect it to the drainage. The weeping tile has a “sock” that covers it to help filter out silt so that the pipe does not clog as quickly over time. Finally the new weeping tile is covered with clear gravel so that water can drain easily through it.
7. Proper Grading
7After the waterproofing steps are completed, the excavation around the foundation is backfilled and graded so that there is sufficient slope around the house to encourage water to run away from the foundation. Keeping water from getting to the foundation is the first line of defence in keeping a dry basement.
Why choose us?
- We value your time and our dedicated team will work efficiently to make sure that the job is complete on schedule.
- Our team has been in the business for many years and we are so confident in our work that we can provide you with a 25 year warranty!
- We use the latest equipment in the industry to make sure that the process goes perfectly.
- If mold is found or other unexpected problems occur our strong partnerships with other companies in the industry will help guarantee that we can get the job done. No job is too big!
- We don’t pressure you to use us until you fully understand the situation, we will provide you with an estimate and proposal before we start the job to ensure that you are well informed.
- Our high reputation speaks for itself, our customers are always very happy with the work completed.
- We take pride in the quality of our work, we use the best methods in the industry.
- We understand how stressful it can be for a homeowner dealing with basement issues and we are committed to helping you get the job done well.